"The only way we're going to see longevity in the [stylist] arena, is if it's done well. Every girl with a credit card can call themselves a stylist. [But} the trend for longevity is you have to do the research and you have to eat, sleep and breathe [it]." - Style2020 stylist
I love that quote.
As a stylist, most of my work is in fashion and celebrities - it's a skill that has been honed with years of study and practice. Simply buying clothes does not a stylist make. Last week, I was invited to attend STYLE2020's lifestyle and beauty forum and got a glimpse into another arena - the world of personal styling. The Orange County-based consulting company held an event in Newport Beach which focused on defining style and offering tips for the everyday woman. Let's be honest, creating a chic and functional wardrobe for women with everyday needs can sometimes be as challenging as styling a photo shoot. It was interesting to hear from executives from Sephora, LVMH and L'Oreal who joined the discussion and offered advice to attendees on fashion, lifestyle and career. I can't wait to see the video Style2020 created with the bloggers in attendance answering the question "How do you define style?" It will be interesting to hear everyone's diverse opinion on fashion and style. All in all, it was an informative and fun afternoon at the chic Island Hotel. And ... who doesn't enjoy champagne, lunch and the red carpet treatment?
Here are a few style tips from the event:
- When you walk into a room people will judge what they think of you [by how you look].
- A classic sense of style will always trump trend. Quality will always come through with the classics vs trends and throw away style.
- A smile and a great pair of shoes go a long, long way....
- Wear a simple, pretty dress - and you can go anywhere.
- When packing, bring the minimum. Stick to the classics and pack to the occasion. Choose a neutral color palette and pack accessories. Take only what jewelry you're going to wear - and what you're willing to lose.
- In Southern California, sunglasses are one of the hottest accesssories.
- Style and trends have to work for your life, or it's not going to stick.
Black Starr Frost jewelry
*** Sponsored post ***